Green Cuisine restaurant in Victoria a couple of nights ago that I came back thinking about finding a recipe on line for a really great raw vegan replica. What I especially loved about the tofu version was (1)the firm, cheese-cakey texture and (2)the amazing lemon-infused flavour and (3)the yummy graham crumb crust. Can it be replicated? Not sure, but here is a lovely-sounding cashew version from the Vegetarian Times online:
- 2 cups macadamia nuts
- 1 1/2 cups cashews
- 1/2 cup pitted Medjool dates
- 1/4 cup dried coconut
- 6 Tbs. coconut oil, melted (gently warmed)
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/4 cup raw agave nectar (or raw honey)
- 1/2 sun-dried vanilla bean
- 3 cups mixed berries, such as blueberries and raspberries
- Place macadamia nuts in large bowl, and cover with cold water. Place cashews in separate bowl, and cover with cold water. Soak nuts 4 hours, then rinse, drain, and set aside.
- Pulse macadamia nuts and dates in food processor to a sticky crumb-like consistency. Sprinkle dried coconut on bottom of 8-inch pie pan. Press macadamia nut mixture onto coconut to make crust.
- Place cashews, coconut oil, lime juice, agave nectar, and 6 Tbs. water in bowl of food processor. Scrape seeds from vanilla bean into food processor bowl, and purée until smooth.
- Pour mixture onto crust, and freeze 1 to 2 hours, or until firm. Remove from freezer, slice while frozen, and transfer to serving platter.
- Defrost in fridge 1 hour, or on countertop 30 minutes; top with berries; and serve.
Per SERVING: Calories: 359, Protein: 5g, Total fat: 28.5g, Saturated fat: 9.5g, Carbs: 24g, Cholesterol: mg, Sodium: 7mg, Fiber: 4g, Sugars: 14g
To your living health!